SEO Equity Links, Explained
What are Equity Links?
Equity links are links that pass value to another page or domain
Some example of them are:
- Followed links
- 301 permanent redirects.
In other words, equity links are links that pass value from one page to the other.
Why are not all links, equity links?
I was wondering the same thing when I first started with SEO. Here are some different kinds of techniques to prevent a link from passing value, or link juice to another page:
- Links with the Nofollow attribute.
- Links on a page using the meta robots tag (index, nofollow or noindex, nofollow).
- Links on a page with crawl restrictions, using disallow in the robots.txt file.
- Links that point to a 302 redirect before landing on your website.
- Links that point to a page using a meta refresh redirect before landing on your website.
Internal and external equity links
Equity links can be internal and external links.
The difference between external and internal links:
- External links, are links pointing from another domain (external website) to a page on your website. For example, somewebsite.com is linking to yourwebsite.com/products/.
- Internal links, are links pointing to pages inside your website. For example, yourwebsite.com/products/ is linking to yourwebsite.com/product-a/.
How to determine the value of a link?
The value of a link, and the potential impact it can have on search engine rankings, is not only determined by the fact it is an equity link or not.
- External links from relevant and important sites have a bigger impact than internal links.
- Does the link pass value (Link equity or No link equity)? No link equity passing links are a common part of the internet and they can provide topic relevancy, relevant traffic and or credibility.
- Links from unique domains are more important than links from sites that have linked to you before.
- Links using relevant anchor text are able to pass more keyword focused value. (Anchor text is a very important factor but you have to be careful and preserve a natural backlink profile)
- Links from trusted high value sites are more important than links coming from new low value sites.
- Links from inside the content pass more value than links inside the footer or blogroll.
- A page containing a high number of links will pass less value per link.
Metrics to determine the value of a link:
- Page Authority
- Domain Authority
- Page Rank
- Domain age
How to identify high value links?
Here are some tool to help you identify high value links
Want to Know More?
Schedule an SEO Consultation