Steps to a Successful Twitter Account
1) Understanding Twitter Terminology: With anything else, you must understand the terminology of twitter to be successful.
- Tweets are a communicated message on twitter. When you tweet you communicate information.
- Followers are those who are interested in you and choose to follow your tweets. Follow those twitter accounts who are relevant to your company and products.
- Twitter feed is the board where you see all of the tweeted messages within your twitter network.
- @ is a mention. This is used when communicating with certain individual twitter accounts. When used, all followers of that mentioned account are notified about the message on their twitter feed.
- # Discover. For others with similar interests, the discover tab helps to connect. To organize twitter as a communication leader, the # sign is used to declare certain topics. For instance, when millions of people want to tweet about a breaking news story or trendy topic, they simply state#(insert topic or trend here). This way, all of those tweets are organized and other twitter accounts will see you tweet about that particular subject.
2) Be Active: Twitter requires following leaders in your industry, key opinion leaders,competitors, customers, and potential clients. After you follow these types of Twitter account holders, it is vital that you communicate to your audience. Not only communicate on your own tweet platform, but use the @(insert Twitter account here) and communicate to the people you are following and those who are following you. Some social media marketing experts say to tweet 4-8 times per day.Research shows that it depends on the individual twitter account. A celebrity can enhance their image with 8 tweets per day, but that would ruin a company's credible image. Only tweet novel and reliable information. Don't waste people's time by tweeting about your morning coffee. Irrelevant tweets harm your social media image on twitter, sacrificing the amount of followers who might be interested in your subject matter. Tweeting relevant information on a consistent basis is the key to finding success on twitter.
3) Say no to Tweet Overload: There are many software programs available that will automatically tweet multiple tweets per day pertaining to specific topics for you. Many novice social media marketers think this is the best way to stay active and obtain more followers. This is NOT correct! Twitter users do get turned off by these SPAM like programs and in the long run, it will ruin your twitter account status.